Zoning & Permitting
On February 27, 2018, the Santa Barbara County Board of Supervisors adopted a series of ordinances that allow commercial cannabis operations within the County's unincorporated area. The ordinances categorize cannabis operations into 8 permit types, and allow each license type in certain zones throughout the County's unincorporated area.
Where and how you can start a commercial cannabis operation depends on which zone your parcel is located in. If you are unsure of your zoning, you can look it up here.
Allowed Uses by Zone Type:
In addition to zoning regulations, the ordinances also establish development standards to mitigate potential negative impacts from cannabis operations. All license types require prospective operators to obtain a County Business Permit, State Cannabis Operator Permit, and either a Land Use Permit or Conditional Use Permit, depending on license type and proximity to nearby sensitive receptors. Permit Application availability may vary depending on whether a parcel is located within the coastal zone.
- County Land Use and Development Code - 35.42.075 - Cannabis Regulations
- View the complete County Land Use and Development Code
- Article II, Coastal Zoning Ordinance - Section 35-144U. Cannabis Regulations (Not effective until certified by the California Coastal Commission)
- View the complete Article II, Coastal Zoning Ordinance
Permit applications and forms (available in PDF and Microsoft Word formats):
- Planner Consult Application Form PDF | Word
- Land Use Permit Application Form PDF | Word
- Conditional Use Permit Application Form PDF | Word
- Cannabis Supplemental Application Form PDF | Word
View the Fee Schedule for Land Use Permits (LUP) and Conditional Use Permits (CUP).