It is the intent of the Board of Supervisors, in enacting Cannabis Business License regulations, to:
- Encourage a well regulated cannabis industry,
- Eliminate illegal cannabis operations and access to illegal and untested cannabis and
- Protect the health, life, safety and general welfare of residents, particularly vulnerable minors.
Any person who intends to engage in a commercial cannabis operation in the unincorporated area of the County is required to obtain a cannabis business license. A separate cannabis business license is required for each person or entity, for each fixed location in which the commercial cannabis activity is to occur and for each licensed activity noted below. A cannabis business license shall be obtained before the commencement of business or, if the business is in operation and a license possessed, prior to the expiration of such license.
All cannabis business licenses shall be valid for 1 (one) year from the date of issuance by the Treasurer-Tax Collector, unless suspended or revoked by the County pursuant to Section 50-27 of the County Code.
It is unlawful for any person to conduct, engage in, or allow to be conducted or engaged in a commercial cannabis activity in the unincorporated area of the County, unless the County has issued such person a business license under this Chapter 50 of the County Code and the license is in effect.
Any person who seeks or obtains the following State licenses is also required to obtain the corresponding Santa Barbara County Cannabis Business Licenses as identified below:
|State License Types*||Santa Barbara County Cannabis Business License Required|
|Cultivation Licenses - Type 1, 1A, 1B, 1C, 2, 2A, 2B, 3, 3A, 3B, 5, 5A, 5B & Processor||Cultivator|
|Cultivation Licenses- Type 4||Nursery|
|Manufacturing – Type 6 & 7, N (edibles/topical) & P (packaging)||Manufacturer|
|Testing – Type 8||Testing|
|Retailer – Type 9 & 10||Retailer|
|Distributor – Type 11||Distributor|
|Microbusiness – Type 12||Microbusiness|
* Pursuant to Business and Professions Code § 26050, as may be amended.
Additional application forms will be available soon
- Cannabis Business License Application
- Property and Premise Diagram Checklist
- Updated 3/22/19! Criminal History Checks and Security Plan Requirements
- Inventory Control Plan Checklist
- Indemnification Agreement – Cannabis Business License
Cultivation Plan Checklist
- Quality Control Plan
- Transportation Plan Checklist
Environmental Health Services Cannabis Business License Checklist
- Fire Department Review Criteria
- Energy Conservation Plan (Excel Spreadsheet)
Disability Access Requirements and Resources
Upload Completed Forms and Documents
Use this form to send completed materials to the County.